Pattern Review - Simplicity 2690
After needing a quick fix, I decided to go with an easy top that I could whip up in a few hours.
Obviously, this didn't go exactly to plan...
For some ridiculous reason I read the reviews on Pattern Review after I cut out the top, and a couple of people mentioned that the front bodice is cut a little small if you are larger than a C cup in the bust. I ummed and ahhed for a while and then decided to re-cut the front bodice and modesty panel adding 2". To make the pattern fit I graded the bodice pieces from the same length as the back bodice at the sides. So the shape of the empire line seam is more of a W than an upside down V.
On the plus side - the fit is perfect. I guess that the only change that I would make would be to possibly make the sleeve depth shorter as it is quite deep and there is a slight risk of it not being bra friendly. I was worried that the empire line elastic and gathering would bulk at the tummy, but it's fine.
And I would definitely make this again. This is a great addition to my wardrobe, especially as I am always whinging that I don't have enough nice tops. I would happily make the length longer and have it as a dress.
Despite the changes this was a quick and satisfying sew and I would recommend this - it would also be suitable for beginners, and for those who haven't worked with jersey/stretch knits before.
My review on Pattern Review can be seen here.
Next on the sewing table is New Look 6933, which you may have already seen - but to carry on with my current theme, I will alter it to be a top. I have already started underlining it and hoping that I will finish it for my birthday in the New Year.