Pattern Review - Vogue 8645

Pattern Review - Vogue 8645 Dress

To continue with the instant gratification rush that I seem to be on, I whipped up this Very Easy Vogue Dress. I bought this polka dot satin in Morocco last August and instantly knew that this was the pattern that I wanted to make and added it to my wishlist. I stubbornly waited until Vogue patterns were on sale just before Christmas before purchasing the pattern. 



Close up of the gorgeous satin



This dress was incredibly simple to make - so it really is a 'Very Easy' pattern, even for a Vogue. There are no darts, zips or elastic casing etc. so it would be perfect for a beginner. Because it is a loose pullover dress there are no fitting issues. I cut a 14 and sewed it straight out of the envelope with no alterations. Initially I was going to french seam this, but as it was lined I didn't bother. However I did go the extra mile and hand sewed an invisible hem. 




Although I did make the tie belt, I really like the contrast of the black belt. I think that it breaks up the pattern and gives my waist a bit of extra definition. Interestingly, the smallest part of my waist is not actually my waist, but underneath my bust. Or perhaps it's that I have such incredibly huge child-birthing hips (they are a whopping 3 sizes larger than my waist size!) that the tie or belt sits better here than on the waist as shown on the pattern picture. 




I had seen some pretty reviews of this pattern and it really inspired me. Otherwise it definitely would have been one of those patterns that passed me by. Especially as the line drawings made it look particularly shapeless. Here is a photo of the dress on my dummy without the waist tie, it looks like a nightgown! The shoulder and waist ties give this pattern so much of the definition. 




I really love this pattern - I like that pulling in fabric here and there ends up really complimenting the female form. I feel so feminine and girly when I wear it - I think I made the perfect fabric choice which adds to the feminine feel. This dress also makes me long for Spring/Summer like no tomorrow. I would definitely make this again and recommend it to others.

Next on the sewing table is a suit type dress for work. I have some conference/meetings coming up towards Easter so it will be great to have it in my wardrobe.

You can see my review on Pattern Review here.

Happy Sewing Everyone!


Comments

  1. Looks gorgeous on you - perfect fabric and pattern style matching! And I agree with you on the black belt - just lifts it and adds great definition...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous on you. I've never been to Morocco, do they have fabulous fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the dress on you with the black belt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

February Garment of the Month