Paisley Shift Dress

Pattern Review: New Look 6049


As some of you may know I really struggle to find a nice shift dress that fits in RTW and handmade items. I did play about with Simplicity 2146 which ended up being more of a sheath dress.

A lady from my sewing group gifted me New Look 6049 and so I decided to give the shift dress another go.


Upon doing a muslin for this dress I discovered that the neckline was too wide and did a 1.5cm narrow shoulder adjustment. You can see above that it is still a bit too big, so if I make this again I will take more out of the shoulders. I deepened the neckline by 5cm as I didn't like how high it was. I cut a 14 on the top and graded out to a generous 16 on the hips. I added in the optional waist darts for added shaping and I took in approximately 3.5cm on each side underneath the bust. 


The fabric is a silky feeling paisley fabric that I picked up in Malaysia at Jakels. I am not sure what the content is, but I am tempted to say that there is some viscose in there somewhere. I really like the drape of this fabric and felt that it was a great choice for the pattern. I even have enough left to make another dress out of it which is exciting. I lined the dress with some stretch lining priced at £1 per metre from Simply Fabrics. 


When I was sewing this dress I wasn't really feeling it, but since I have finished it I have worn it 3 times! I think that I was feeling jaded by all of the alterations and that it was going to be a garment that ends up being alot of work for little reward. Although the fit is not 100% there I am really pleased with the dress overall and I can see that a TNT shift dress pattern will soon be in my grasp. 

You can see my Pattern Review here. 

Happy Sewing!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Spy a Floral Print!

Palazzo Pants

First Summer Dress of the Season