I Spy a Floral Print!

Pattern Review: New Look 6301


I am addicted to floral prints! I would say a good 85% of my stash is made up of floral print fabrics. Following on from my last two garments (blogged here and here) I decided to stick with the current  floral theme and sewed up this New Look mock wrap dress


My sewing group are currently running a Summer garment sew-a-long and I thought that a this floral fabric would fit the bill. I did sew it knowing that Autumn/Winter time this will be paired with a cardigan, tights and boots so I am really classing it as a transitional item :-)

I cut a size 14 for this dress. For the top of front bodice pieces (i.e. the cleavage) I cut the size 18 lines as I knew that I would want a little extra coverage. This worked perfectly and means it is work appropriate without a camisole underneath - win! 


I changed the construction process slightly for the bodice. I attached the front to the back at the shoulders first so that I could fit and remove some excess (1") from the top of the centre back. My only other alterations were to remove 5" from the length of the skirt and I omitted the waist elastic. These last two alterations are simply personal preference and nothing to do with the fit. 


The fabric is a matte jersey purchased from a Daslton Market during a fabric shop with my sewing group at the end of November. I am pretty sure that I paid £2 per metre for this fabric (and definitely no more than £3!) 

There are some nice details in this pattern and I feel it is well thought out. I like the armhole and neckline bands to prevent gaping. I am a fan of the stay tape on the shoulders too. I know that the waist elastic is also there so that the dress holds its shape. When I make this again - which I definitely will! - I will lengthen the waist ties. For me they are a tiny bit short for my liking.



I used double stitched seams, overlocked stitched the waist seam and I left the skirt hem raw. This is a first for me (and if I am honest still feels a bit weird) but I actually like the way it looks. It means that nothing interrupts the soft drape of the jersey which is great. If I find it too upsetting then it will be no problem to hem it.

You can view my pattern review here.

Stay tuned for more floral prints (I might have a floral skirt currently on the sewing table...)
Anyone else's fabric having a theme at the moment? 

Happy Sewing!




Comments

  1. Your dress is beautiful and you look super in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This print looks nice on you. Love the fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress looks great! My fabric shopping has definitely had a theme lately - linen! For me nothing says 'summer' more than that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just GORGEOUS and I love the pretty print. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is seriously cute, I like it. Beautiful fabric.
    I am curious about what you said about closing shoulder seams and the fitting and removing an inch? I wonder if the back neck was gaping, or was it just too high?
    I very much want to get better at spotting fitting issues in my own sewing and it helps to see the issues on other people's projects.
    Enjoy wearing the dress!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top