First Kwik Sew Pattern!

Pattern Review - Kwik Sew 3844


I have seen a number of lovely tank tops of late and it quickly made me realise that I have a hole in my wardrobe/pattern collection. Although I have sewed a simple top before I wanted something more casual. That said, the first thing that I sewed this pattern up in is black lace - not that casual at all. 

I had seen this Kwik Sew pattern a couple of times and been a bit stubborn about buying it. I am going to admit my prejudice here. I have previously avoided Kwik Sew patterns like the plague, as I couldn't believe that these patterns are priced higher than the average easy pattern, and at the same time have such terrible models/envelope pictures!

However, I  gave in and used my Sew Direct member discount to purchase it at half the price. 
I think that it was worth it.



It's  really the fabric that steals the show here. This fabric was purchased to make a going out dress (currently on my sewing table). I purchased the fabric from Fabricland at a mere £3.99 per metre! And it gets better. The fabric is already backed onto the background fabric. Yes people - that's right - no wretched underlining! It was a dream to sew with, super easy and has a tiny bit of stretch in it. 


I have to say that the instructions were easy and fine for beginners. The pattern pieces are actually made of paper which I find slightly harder to work with, especially if you have to grade out sizes, but maybe that serves me right for being too lazy to trace the pattern pieces out beforehand. 


I cut out the facings, but as soon as I realised I had to add in some gathering stitches, I threw them away and just used bias binding instead. I also used bias binding for the hem. I am seriously lazy! I had to cut the back into 2 pieces due to fabric constraints - but I think that it works fine. I' m not hardcore enough yet (like Ann from the Great British Sewing Bee!) to match my lace. The only other alteration was to pinch in the sides slightly just below the bust to give it a tad more shape. 



Despite all moaning about Kwik Sew patterns - this is a great basic to have in the stash and I would definitely make this again. I have seen some tank top patterns with a racerback, but I knew that I wanted any pattern investment to be bra friendly.

My pattern on Pattern Review can be found here.

I am glad that I still have my dress to finish as I can't get enough of this fabric. Hoping to finish it this week. Are you sick of this fabric yet? You will be!

Happy Sewing! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top