Posts

Showing posts from March, 2013

Déjà Vu...?

Image
PATTERN REVIEW - SIMPLICITY 1884 (again...)
I shall keep this one brief as both the pattern and the fabric are things that have been posted about recently. As I mentioned in my last post I had enough fabric left over from the dress to knock up this top previously blogged about here.
In case you missed out on the fabric info in my last post, I used some jersey picked up from Simply Fabrics in Brixton. I have a special place in my heart for Simply Fabrics. It is true that there is a real mix of fabrics (and quality) but it is the perfect place to pick up fabric for wearable muslins as it is so cheap.


I pretty much made it up exactly the same as last time, I only made some minor changes.
These are:-

Omitted the tie in the frontLengthened the front and back by 2"Used rolled hems instead of bias binding (as I sewed this pattern with a stretch fabric)
Front & back close-up
The only thing that I will have in mind next time I am sewing this pattern with a stretch fabric is to perhaps…

Summer Sewing!

Image
Pattern Review - New Look 6122
Following the polka dot dress that you may remember here all I want to do is sew summer clothes. I tried to satisfy a bit of this desire by sewing up New Look 6122
I used some jersey that I picked up from the remnant box at Simply Fabrics in Brixton and I made view D from the pattern. The contrast belt is a remnant of black jersey from my stash which I expect I also bought from Simply Fabrics. 



This came together really quickly, especially as the construction process is very standard. When I originally bought this pattern the neckline options attracted me the most. The only thing that I found a bit annoying is that I didn't think that the back bodice is long enough, but I couldn't be bothered to alter it. However, it is bra friendly so that's a relief. 

As this pattern was so straightforward and uses negative ease, the only alterations I made were to french seam the skirt and I disregarded the elastic guide for the bodice back. As I cut a …

First Suit Dress!

Image
Pattern Review - Vogue 8667 Yay! I finally finished this. Vogue 8667 has been my February project and seemed to take forever, though this may be due to lack of sewing time, and also working on multiple projects (this is a 2013 sewing goal).
I used a teal suiting that I picked up from Fabricland for £2 a metre. They have this fabric in many different colours and it is such a bargain. When I am next in Bristol I am definitely going to pick up some more. This fabric was a delight to sew, although it did fray a tad when working with it so I zig-zagged  the seams.

The changes that I made was to cut grade out the front side bodice to 2" and increased the length of the front bodice 2". I wanted the skirt to hit me above the knee so I cut the skirt pieces the same length as the lining pieces. I cut a size 14 and graded out to a size 16 on the hips. I think that if I was to make this again I wouldn't the bodice pieces as a size 12.

I had tried making a smart work dress a couple …