Scrap-Busting - Part 1

As you may have read previously, my sewing group held a 1 metre stash busting sew-a-long. I made Simplicity 1884 for the challenge. The sew-a-long inspired me to have another look at the remnants in my stash to see if I could use them for some quick instant gratification projects. 

I had (just) enough fabric to create a mini skirt using Mimi G's pencil skirt tutorial. I have made this previously here and it's a definite go-to garment in my wardrobe. 


For this simple skirt I used the remnants from Vogue 8827. This is a ponte knit purchased from good old Simply Fabrics in Brixton, priced at £3 per metre. 


As you can see in the photo above the skirt has two side seams, rather than one seam at the back. This is because I didn't have enough fabric to cut this on the fold. The skirt ended up being shorter than I initially planned as I the fabric is a one-way stretch which meant that I was further restricted by the amount of usable fabric. 


As you can see I am feeling very jammy about being able to use up some scraps to add a cute mini to my wardrobe for zero pounds. Unless it's a large chunk of fabric, the majority of my scraps are destined to the dustbin, but the recent sew-a-long has really given me some inspiration to be more resourceful and less wasteful. I have another scrap busting mini to post about too. Watch this space!

You can see my Pattern Review here.

What do you do with your remnants and scraps? Do you use them for small projects or do you get rid of them?

Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. hi Tash! Nice skirt! And I recognise those shoes ;) I love using scraps, it's gotten to the point where I haven't touched my actual dress fabric in months... need to start doing that really. But slowly but surely the mending stuff is dwindling :) Speak soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This skirt looks fantastic! I particularly like it with this top but I'm sure you can wear it with all kinds of different things. Great look, very cool!
    I used to keep all my remnants but I haven't done anything with them. So I started to throw them away or put them into the bag destined for the clothes container outside Sainsbury's. If it's too little of a really nice fabric then I am thinking if I could use it as just the front or back of a sleeveless top. Or use it as a panel in either a top or a skirt, something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

February Garment of the Month