Blouse Sewing

Pattern Review: New Look 6303


I have a lovely RTW blouse similar to this in my wardrobe, so when I saw New Look 6303 on sale I had to buy it. 


When I had a look at the pattern pieces I instantly knew that it would be wise to do a toile or wearable muslin. I picked up this chiffon in Dalston Market for either £2 or £3 per metre. It was a bargain and I was initially going to give it to my mum for Christmas. However when I purchased this pattern I felt that the fabric would really suit this top (sorry mum!). I underlined the chiffon with some black stretch fabric from Simply Fabrics for £1 per metre. 


So let's talk about the fit. I cut a size 12 and added 1" to the front and back length. I still find this top a bit short on me and will add at least another 1" when I make it again. My RTW top is also shorter than I would like so it's not too surprising. For the record I am almost 5 ft 8" so taller than the average UK woman. I french seamed everything for a neater finish on the inside. I had to re-cut the armholes as this made it a bit snug. 

When I make this again I am going to lower the neckline as I find it too high on me. Another note for a future make is that I would include a swayback adjustment. You can see on the photo below how the fabric pools in the back area. Finally, I read some reviews of this pattern and went with the suggestion to hem the back before attaching it to the front. 


This pattern is not a difficult sew. It has minimal pieces so doesn't take too long at all. The most challenging thing for me was handling the chiffon. Whenever I sew chiffon I am sure it takes me three times as long to do anything. However, I always feel that the extra effort is so worth it as I love the way chiffon falls and drapes. 


As far as a wearable toile goes I am pretty chuffed with this. I know that I will enjoy having it in my wardrobe and I already have plans for further versions! 

You can see my Pattern Review here.

I have some quick satisfying sews coming up so watch this space! 

Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. I love this top on you! I have this pattern too and have to give it a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little top - love the print.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

February Garment of the Month