Rosenheim Shirtdress

Pattern Review: Simplicity 8084

Shirtdresses have been all the rage this past year and I have taken the plunge and jumped on the bandwagon. When Simplicity Patterns were on sale this summer I snapped up Mimi G's Shirtdress pattern


I cut a size 14 for this dress. I added an inch to the length, but other than that I made no fit alternations. However I really struggled for the placket to lie correctly. Every time I stitched it, it ended up twisted and didn't sit right. In the end I recut the placket. The same thing happened, but not as badly. I wondered if it has something to do with the grain of the fabric? I also had to re-cut the collar to be larger as I found it ended up being too small. 


I am glad that I persevered as I love the style of this dress. With the blouson effect and waist tie, you don't have to worry about the fit and you still get good waist definition. As this dress is unlined I french seamed the sides and used bias binding  to on the yoke seam for a clean finish. I didn't want a dress with sleeves so I omitted them and used bias binding on the armholes. 


The fabric is a rayon or viscose that I purchased back in January 2016 when I went to stay with a friend in Rossenheim, Germany for New Year. We went to the department store Karstadt and found this in the sale for €3.99 per metre.  It has a lovely drape and sewed well. Luckily the print is busy so covers a multitude of sewing sins. 

I am so pleased that I persevered with this dress. There were multiple times that I thought about just chucking it in the bin. It is a great transitional item that works great with tights and boots, and will also be great with sandals in the Summer. 

You can see my Pattern Review here.

Anyone else had any sewing challenges recently?

Comments

  1. Your shirtdress is just perfect on you! I am glad you hung in there too! It was worth it, and I know you will enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty shirtdress, and great fit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you get to sew again. This fabric is so pretty, very glad that Karstadt came through.

    If the placket plays up like this again, mayby cutting it on the bias might work? Not sure if an interfacing would be too bulky even with the most light weight one. Horrible to have to struggle with a fiddly thing like that.

    Collars are sometimes drafted with a smaller seam allowance of only one centimeter (as per the last Sewing Bee), I wonder if that could be the reason? It seems really fiddly to me: I'd rather cut it bigger and then trim back more.

    Your dress is wonderful, I'm very glad to see you persevered and succeeded with it. I wish I was this disciplined.

    I picked up your idea of a scalloped hem and altered a red top, hope to be done soon so I can blog it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you persevered because now you have a really pretty dress that looks great on you. Love that print!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top