Floral Leggings

Pattern Review: New Look 6439

I can honestly say I never imagined I'd ever sew leggings. In my head leggings were very much an item of clothing that I would be happy to buy - similar to tights, cardigans and underwear. However, after making these textured trousers here I felt that I would be willing to branch out!


Leggings are so easy to sew I am kicking myself for not trying them earlier. This leggings pattern (that I may or may not have stolen from my mum...) contains 2 pieces. No waistband required. You simply fold down the top of the leggings to encase the elastic. 

In terms of adjustments I did make a few: A quick and necessary FBA (Full Butt Adjustment). I used this great blog post from Closet Case Patterns and added 1/2" to the back leg inseam and graded in 1" to the centre back. These leggings are designed to sit just below your belly button, but I knew that I wanted them to be high waisted. I added on 2" so that they sat on my natural waist. 


The fabric was another steal from a fabric shop in Belmont Avenue in NYC. It was priced at $4 per yard. It is a stretch crepe and was really easy to work with and has a good amount of stretch without becoming transparent. We have all seen people wearing leggings with too much stretch that you end up seeing more than you bargained for...It was definitely not the look I was going for. 


I wore these out to my fave LGBT+ night in London - Urban World. The kept me cool and they didn't slip down at all during the night despite lots of dancing! To be completely honest I was really unsure if I could pull these leggings off style wise, but I think that they are really fun and can be dressed up or down. 



You can see my Pattern Review here

These were super quick to make and I have another pair planned. However, the instant gratification projects are on standby as I am making a special occasion dress for our annual work Gala Dinner. Lots of hand stitching to come!

Anyone else making any special occasion wear for the upcoming party season? 

Comments

  1. Fab leggings - you should definitely make some more. You have certainly been making some great items recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these on you. Yes, make more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top